Gutsy Ginger Wine
Home made ginger wine is a staple in our wine rack, it's a versatile and tasty white wine that not only offers a warming winter drink and refreshing summer tipple, but is fantastic for cooking with!
Ginger wine is easy to make and so delicious!
This recipe makes a 5 gallon batch, and creates a gutsy fiery yet smooth ginger wine.
- 1.5kg of fresh ginger root
- 4kg granulated sugar
- 500g brown sugar
- 500g sultanas
- 1 banana
- High alcohol yeast
- Chop the ginger into small chunks in a food processor, or by hand if you have the desire.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for +/- an hour.
- Put the sugars and banana into a 5 gallon primary fermentation bucket.
- Pour over the ginger liquid.
- When cool, add the yeast.
- Stir every day for two weeks, whilst feeding sugar to increase the alcohol content to desired abv.
- After two weeks, rack into demijohns and allow to ferment until dry.
- Back sweeten to taste.
- Store for 6-12 months until bottling and enjoying
The results: testing the ginger wine
The ginger wine was tested when it was still in it's early stages of maturation, and did need a fair bit longer than the 2 months that I gave it. Another 6 and the slight harshness would have faded away, leaving an amazingly warm tipple.