Melon Wine - Recipe and Method
This melon wine recipe creates a light and refreshing summers drink, not too heavy in flavour nor alcohol content, it will delight your taste buds.
- 1 Honeydew or gala melon
- 1lb (454g) honey (optional, but recomended)
- 500g sugar (1kg if not adding honey)
- 1 lemon
- Water to 1 gallon
- General purpose wine yeast (I recommend Cross My Loof yeasts)
- Chop, skin and deseed your melon and place the flesh into a clean, sanitized fermentation bucket.
- Pour in 1lb of honey. If you are skipping the honey, skip to the next step.
- Add 500g sugar. If not using honey, add 1kg sugar to the fermentation bucket.
- Squeeze into your bucket, the juice of 1 lemon, and throw in the rind.
- Pour over 1 gallon of water.
- Pitch your yeast. I find a general purpose wine yeast works wonders.
- Set your fermentation bucket aside, with a lid on for 5-7 days.
- 5-7 days later, strain the liquid into a clean demijohn, fit an airlock and allow to ferment to dry.
- When fermentation has completed, rack and allow to clear before bottling.
- This wine matures quickly, and will be drinkable when your wine glass is empty.