Pear Wine - Recipe and Method
Pear wine is a jovial light hearted and smooth home made wine which is ideal for spring and summer sipping.
If made in the autumn with windfall pears, this wine will mature over winter and be perfect for the warmer days!
It's easy to make and quick to mature!
- 15 medium pears
- 1kg granulated sugar
- 1 Banana
- Small handful of cloves (optional)
- 1 teabag
- Water to 1 gallon
- General purpose wine yeast
- Chop the pears into small chunks and add to the clean fermenter.
- Add the 1kg granulated sugar on top of the pears.
- Add 1 banana, skin and and all (peel it first) to the fermenter.
- Add 1 teabag and ground cloves if using.
- Pour over 2L of boiling water and shake / stir to disolve the sugar.
- Top up to the 1 gallon mark with cold water.
- Pitch the yeast.
- Set aside in a warm place with a lid on.
- Stir every few days for 5/7 days.
- Syphon the liquid into a clean Demi John.
- Place in an airlock and set aside until fermentation subsides.
- Rack ad hoc.
- Allow to clear and mature before bottling.